Monday, August 24, 2020

The Importance of Knowing Who You Are

        It is so important to know who you are. It’s equally important to accept who you are and where you are in life.  Many of us make the mistake of not allowing ourselves to be happy because we feel like we haven’t reached our full potential. So many of us believe that everything is going to fall into place once ____________ happens, and that’s simply not true. You cannot wait for the life that you want to happen to happen to you. We must accept where we are in life at every moment of it! That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t want more for yourself, or that you should give up on your goals. It means that life is happening right now and if you’re sitting around waiting for this fairytale life that may or may not happen, you're missing out on all of the wonderful things that are happening in your life right now! 


Another reason that I believe having an identity is so important is because people who do not know who they are tend to be lost in the world. Without an identity we feel insignificant and alone. I know that when I was getting into drugs, heavily, I knew exactly what was happening. I knew that I was headed down a dark and dangerous path, and that was spiraling out of control; but, I didn’t care, because I knew that if I was a drug addict, I would have an identity. So instead of running away from the problem, I embraced it just because I needed to know that I belonged somewhere. I remember the very first thing I ever said at an NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meeting was that, “I don’t know who I am if I’m not a drug addict.” Drugs were all that I felt I had. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Becoming an Addict

       I was in my thirties when I became addicted to drugs. Life hadn’t been incredibly kind to me and I was desperate for a purpose. I sta...